Child Support Attorney in Boca Raton & Palm Beach

If your other parent fails to pay child support it may be in your best interest to hire a private lawyer to purse legal action on your behalf.

Answers to Your Questions about Child Support

Family Law Legal Services since 1985 Law Offices of Peter Perettine Boca Raton, Florida

A parent has financial responsibility for his or her children regardless of whether the parents are married or not. Unmarried mothers have the legal right to seek child support from their child’s father, and custodial parents have the legal right to child support from the non-custodial parents.

That said, the amount of child support must be fair and equitable, taking into account the financial circumstances of both parents as well as other factors like the cost of the child’s education, healthcare and insurance.

If you are involved in any kind of child support dispute, we encourage you to seek legal advice early on from an experienced lawyer. A knowledgeable family law attorney can help you understand exactly what your legal rights are and help you choose the best way to resolve the conflict to ensure a positive future for you and your children.

Attorney Peter Perettine has more than 25 years’ experience as a family law attorney in the Boca Raton, Florida, area. Mr. Perettine has handled or tried more than 100 family law cases, and has established a hard-earned reputation as an aggressive, loyal and honest family law attorney.

Establishing Child Support Amounts in Florida

Establishing child support in Florida must be done according to guidelines set forth in the Florida statutes. Under the guidelines, child support amounts are established by a mathematical calculation that takes into account the net income of both parents, the number of children, health care needs, daycare costs and medical insurance amounts.

Modification of Child Support Amounts

An original child support agreement is not set in stone. Circumstances change – children grow older and reach the age of majority, and the parents’ incomes may change for the better or worse.

Did You Know?

Monthly child support deductions will not automatically stop when your children turn 18. If you are paying child support, you must file formal petition for modification with the court in order to stop the child support payments. Whenever there has been a significant change in either parent’s financial circumstances, either parent may file a motion with the court requesting an upward or downward modification of the original child support amount.

Enforcement of Child Support Orders

Florida takes child support seriously. There can be very serious consequences – up to and including arrest if a parent fails to pay legally obligated child support. The Law Offices of Peter Perettine is available to represent either spouse in child support enforcement actions.

  • If a child support contempt order has been filed against you, you should seek legal advice immediately. The consequences for ignoring a contempt order can be severe – up to and including arrest and jail.
  • If your child’s other parent fails to pay child support it may be in your best interest to hire a private lawyer to pursue legal action. Florida’s Department of Revenue does initiate child support enforcement actions on behalf of parents, but the process will likely be faster if you hire a private attorney.

Other Practice Areas

1. Criminal Defense

2. Family Law

3. Divorce

4. Child Custody

5. Juvenile Dependency

6. Parental Relocation

7. Domestic Violence Defense

8. Probation Violations

9. Drug Related Offenses


Discuss your case in a confidential setting with an experienced attorney. Call our Boca Raton law office at (561) 368-6042 or send text to cell: (561) 251-2104. You can also send us an e-mail.